What We’re About
At our core we want to be a part of a community that believes in the spirit of giving. Vancouver is a vibrant, diverse, inclusive and caring community. Sadly we also have great needs that aren’t being met by private and public funding. There are so many incredible, hard-working organizations that stretch every penny and every volunteer hour they can get to support our thriving city.
At 100 Women Who Care Vancouver, we encourage our members to become more aware of the countless ways of giving back to our community. In essence, spreading grassroots awareness and encouraging others to get involved. We know that everyone gives back in our own way – some of us have time, others skills. Our members are able to give back financially.
We encourage our members to donate $100 every four months, and if they find an organization they develop an affinity for, to start volunteering their time or skills.
How We Got Started
Charlene Fekeshazy (aka Char), a former member of the Halifax chapter, moved to Vancouver late summer of 2014. Once settled she looked for a local chapter to join. Not finding one and liking the simplicity of the 100 Women Who Care model, philosophy of the importance of giving back to our community and believing that the women of Vancouver would welcome this grass roots organization she decided to form a Vancouver chapter.
We’re proud to be a part of a network of intelligent, supportive, engaged, caring women from coast-to-coast. With more than 350 chapters across the WORLD, either fully operational or under development, this is the first Vancouver chapter.
What Being a Member Means
Our goal is to support the wonderful non-profit and charitable organizations that work at the grassroots level in Vancouver’s Lower Mainland (Vancouver Proper – North, South, East & West; Burnaby; North & South Delta; Surrey & Langley). There are so many groups that are working to make our community a better, healthier, stronger place to live that don’t get all the funding they need to achieve their operating goals.
We don’t stop at 100 Women – we want as many members as we can get. The more women involved, the bigger the impact we can have on our community. Join us and experience that magical feeling of knowing that you directly impacted lives for the better four times a year! We ask that all new members commit to a year of meetings, but you are welcome to stay as long as you want – giving back is addicting.
How 100 Women Who Care Works
Being a member of 100 Women Who Care Vancouver is awesome. Meeting like-minded women, networking AND helping a local charity all in one night! What could be better right? To keep everything running smoothly, we need to have some guidelines set in place. These ensure that our members know what’s going on, our charities get their donation on the night of the meeting and everyone goes home happy and feeling great about giving back to our community!
Know that every region customizes the 100 Women Who Care model to suit their needs. Charlene chose the following for Vancouver because it suits our membership.
Here’s how the 100 Women Who Care Vancouver model works:
– If you’ve filled in a registration form and are up-to-date with your donation commitment (a member in good standing), you can nominate the local charity of your choice.
– We randomly select 3 nominated charities before our meeting, vet them, and then they give a 5 minute presentation (no PowerPoints, no handouts) speech to our members.
– Every member in good standing votes by secret ballot at the meeting for one of three presenting organizations. You can’t vote if you’re an absent member – you have to be in the room to have a say.
– After the selected charity is announced, we all whip out our cheque books and write a $100 cheque on the spot.
– The charity we choose will receive a group donation of $10,000 or more right then and there
– All’s fair when it comes to giving back, so even if you didn’t vote for an organization, you’ve agreed to donate to them regardless. You’ll be expected to write a cheque for whatever charity the group picks.
– If feeling great for giving back to your community isn’t enough, you’ll get a tax receipt directly from the organization.
– Nobody likes it when people just don’t show up. If you can’t make a meeting, you’re expected to send regrets to the founder and deliver your cheque prior to the meeting (or send it with a friend). If you don’t let us know you won’t be there, and don’t get your donation to us on time, you’re no longer a member in good standing.
– The charities we give back to MUST be based in Vancouver’s Lower Mainland, at least a year old AND a registered charity. If they can’t write tax receipts, if they haven’t made it a full year around the sun or most of the money is going to causes outside of the city, we can’t consider them for a donation.
– Any organization that is nominated stays in the hat until they are selected for a donation.
– If there’s ever a tie in the room, we vote again. If we’re still tied after another round of voting we will either randomly select out of a hat OR divide the donation evenly between the tied organizations.
– Our selected organization promises not to give out your information to any third parties, or solicit more donations from you. They should only contact you for tax purposes.
– While we’re counting the ballots, the recipient from the previous meeting gives us a 5 minute update on how our donation is being used.